Design Engineering Manager
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager
The Design Engineering Manager (DEM) provides leadership for the design engineering group supporting current and future programs. The DEM oversees the execution of engineering, personnel development and technical competence of the Engineering department. The DEM is responsible for the department's organizational structure and alignment with customer and program needs.
Summary of Duties:
- • Plans and directs the work of the highly skilled design engineers to achieve product objectives
- • Actively work with the project engineers to ensure that design engineering deliverables are completed on schedule and on budget
- • Provide technical expertise and coaching during product design reviews to ensure high quality design
- • Promote cost awareness through BOM management and manufacturing decision making
- • Works closely and constructively with other departments within the division to gain consensus on the best strategy for each engineering design issue
- • Provide efficient engineering production support
- • Drive commonality of design and parts across projects
- • Prepare summary reports and metrics of design processes for internal management and the customer
- • Responsible for preparing design cost estimates at the proposal phase and during the course of projects
- • Collaborate with organization department and Safran leadership to find cost-effective design solutions
- • Monitors scheduling and department resources to meet/exceed business objectives and goals
- • Recruit, hire, train staff, evaluate employee performance, and recommend or initiate promotions, transfers, and disciplinary action
- • Other duties may be assign
Education: BS Degree in Aerospace Engineering or equivalent in a related field (e.g. mechanical) required
Experience: 7 years related experience in aerospace or mechanical engineering design with a minimum of 1 year of technical leadership experience.
- • Working knowledge of CAD & PLM systems
- • Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- • Experience working aircraft OEM
- • Strong knowledge of common materials and manufacturing processes used in the aerospace industry
- • Proven ability to read and interpret engineering drawings
- • Good knowledge of testing and certification requirements for common aerospace components and materials
- • Experience coaching and managing a team of engineers including conducting annual performance reviews.
- • Excellent organization and communication skills
- • Business acumen to assist in establishing budgets, providing program health metrics to management, make recommendations for resourcing programs
- • Ability to work well independently and cross-functionally
- • Strong communication, time-management, and problem-solving skills
- • Ability to motivate team efforts to accomplish goals
- • Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- • Ability to develop, implement and monitor corrective action plans
Additional Preferred Skills: (not required)
- • Familiarity with ERP systems
- • Knowledge of databases is preferred
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aircraft propulsion and equipment, space and defense markets. Safran has a global presence, with more than 92,000 employees and sales of 21 billion euros in 2018. Working alone or in partnership, Safran holds world or European leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes Research & Development programs to meet fast-changing market requirements, with total R&D expenditures of around 1.5 billion euros in 2018.
Safran is ranked among the Top 100 Global Innovators by Thomson Reuters and is featured on the "Happy at work" rankings. The Group places fourth on the Universum ranking for the favorite companies of newly-qualified engineers in France.
Safran Cabin provides all elements of a seamlessly integrated Cabin Interior. From the overhead bins, lavatories and galleys to crew rests and cargo containers, either as independent world class products or as a fully integrated cabin. The company is headquartered in Huntington Beach in Southern California, USA and operates 30 sites in 11 countries. The over 13.000 employees across the globe serve virtually all the airlines, aircraft leasing companies and airframe manufacturers worldwide.
Configuration Management Engineer IPublished on 09/14/2019Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Design, Passenger Experience
Design Engineer 2Published on 09/12/2019Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Design, Passenger Experience
Senior Design EngineerPublished on 09/10/2019Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Design, Passenger Experience