Mechanical Design Engineering Manager
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager
Want to work with some of the most talented dedicated people on the planet? Do you value relationships commitment innovation and integrity? Then Safran Electronics & Defense Avionics is the place for you. Join our team and build a rewarding career while helping to deliver the most trusted source of aviation and high-integrity solutions in the world. Employing some of the most talented dedicated people on the planet is not by chance. People from all over the globe choose Safran as the place to build a rewarding career while helping create and deliver communications integration and engineering solutions that our global customers demand so that our world keeps moving and stays connected. It's an exciting time to become a part of our team. Join us and discover how high your career can soar at Safran. The Safran Electronics and Defense America (SEDA) Electromechanical Systems (EMS) department is seeking a proactive engaged leader to join the leadership team as a Manager for the Mechanical design engineering team.
This position is located in Irvine, CA. This Engineering Manager will lead a team of Mechanical Design Engineers to create world class designs for Pilot Controls or Actuation products for a variety of Commercial and Military Aerospace customers. In this group manager role the selected candidate will be responsible for ensuring technical excellence by coaching and developing team members to ensure a focus on engineering quality. EMS designs and produces a variety of high integrity pilot controls and actuation- so ability to assess, understand, and propose a way forward will be essential.
A high standard for engineering quality and a strong desire for continuous improvement will be essential for this role. The ability to apply Lean principles and methods to engineering activities will be key to enable efficient design process and defect free engineering products. These areas are critical to developing best in class designs more efficiently every time. The role is functional in nature so strong communication and interpersonal skills will required in building relationships with our internal customers. Leading technically and behaviorally are equally key for this role. The successful candidate must be able to apply their technical expertise to coach their team members to achieve program and department goals. The candidate must be an advocate for their team and their designs. Lastly the leader will be responsible for engineering execution. The candidate must be able to effectively coordinate EMS individuals and remote design center support.
Education / Experience:
- - A bachelor's degree in engineering or related STEM degree from an accredited institution.
- - Legally authorized to work in the US without company sponsorship
- - Candidates external to Safran: Relocation may be available for this position
- - Experience leading teams in a formal or informal role
- - Knowledge of PDM systems (i.e. Enovia) for documentation control and workflow is desired
- - Experience developing Aerospace Mechanical designs
- - Proven expertise with improving processes and/or tools
- - Experience with Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools such as CATIA, Solidworks, Unigraphics NX, etc.
- - Experience creating or developing a remote design center is a plus
- - Experience setting up and monitoring performance tracking metrics
- - While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- - The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- - The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aircraft propulsion and equipment, space and defense markets. Safran has a global presence, with more than 92,000 employees and sales of 21 billion euros in 2018. Working alone or in partnership, Safran holds world or European leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes Research & Development programs to meet fast-changing market requirements, with total R&D expenditures of around 1.5 billion euros in 2018.
Safran is ranked among the Top 100 Global Innovators by Thomson Reuters and is featured on the "Happy at work" rankings. The Group places fourth on the Universum ranking for the favorite companies of newly-qualified engineers in France.
Safran Electronics & Defense is a world leader in optronics, avionics, electronics and critical software for civil and defense applications. The company's products are deployed worldwide on more than 1,000 ships, 25,000 armored vehicles and 10,000 aircraft.
Systems Engineering InternPublished on 05/20/2019Irvine, United States Internship / Student Mechanics
Reliability & Safety EngineerPublished on 05/21/2019Irvine, United States Regular Full time Quality
Technical Project ManagerPublished on 05/21/2019Irvine, United States Regular Full time Project management