Vice President Engineering
Research, design and development
Professional, Engineer & Manager
VP of Engineering (Floor To Floor Division)
Location: Santa Maria, CA
The Vice President Engineering is responsible for cradle to grave design and delivery of their respective Aircraft Cabin Interiors product line (Floor to Floor). The Vice President Engineering must be able to design creative, attractive, reliable, market leading, cutting edge products which are easily produced via a low cost assembly process.
This position will report to the Division Executive VP directly and have dotted line reporting to our Cabin EVP Engineering.
Vice President Engineering provides professional and technical guidance to ensure that effective engineering practices, processes and procedures are developed, implemented and adhered to across the division. Ensures the most effective use of the tools and facilities is achieved. Provides direction to management regarding all activities and policies related to the product line's design, engineering and production efforts.
Summary of Duties:
- • Works closely with senior staff to establish short and long range program and operating goals and metrics.
- • Participates in developing division strategic plan, initiatives and budget process. Implements and monitors performance of product line (or BU) plans and initiatives.
- • Coordinates with Sales, Program Management, Commercial Aircraft OEM customers and other stakeholders to evaluate customer specifications, engineering and regulatory requirements, and budgeting for new projects.
- • Practice proactive performance management, recommend and initiate promotions, transfers, and disciplinary action for a global, multi-site engineering team
- • Responsible for the creation of Technology Roadmaps for composite materials and special processes, provides support and ensures all R&T and Innovation supports these road maps.
- • Works with R&T peers and Division product Line Management to ensure Technology Road Maps are in alignment to Product Line Strategies and Market needs.
- • Works with manufacturing and advises on operational needs for planned new processes or materials
- • Drives innovation to ensure Division sales opportunities.
- • Interact and interface with our external sales team and key customers to better understand our customers and market needs and demonstrate insight and innovation to deliver the best solution.
- • Responsible for recruiting, training, fostering, and developing world leading engineers and innovators.
- • Directly responsible for industrial engineering during the DEVELOP and serial production.
- • Personal Responsibility - Maintain clear leadership philosophy and build consensus around organization values; make sound and timely decisions by taking calculated risk while assuming responsibility, evoke trust by being appropriately open, honest, ethical and consistent; you seek to eliminate inefficiencies and engage others; and encourage organization, prioritization, follow-through and time management.
- • Direction Setting – Create, articulate and inspire a vision for change; keep organizational focus on customer through expectations, involvement and feedback; recognize importance of teams and when to use them; and communicate expectations clearly while encouraging and recognizing accomplishments.
- • Strategic Leadership – Analyze trends/benchmarking data, develop alternatives, and identify opportunities for leverage; set and keep focus on goals, utilize resources effectively, anticipate issues; articulate a vision and encourage innovation and problem-solving to support it; and display openness to new ideas, change and learning.
- • Organizational Management – Value and encourage professional and personal development through continuous learning; delegate and support decision making; translate strategic goals into actionable plans and remove obstacles; and maintain cross-functional relationships and gain cooperation and support.
Education: Bachelor's degree in engineering discipline
Experience: Must have at least 10 years aircraft cabin interiors product line experience (Floor to Floor preferred); 5 years formal leadership experience with proven track record of effective team-building and talent development within a design and build organization
- • Proficient knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- • Aviation/Aerospace background and aircraft interior industry experience required
- • Knowledge of industry standards, such as RTCA DO160, RTCA DO-254, & MIL-STD-810
- • In depth knowledge and experience in Research & Technology process
- • Proven ability to effectively interface with global aircraft interior customers (i.e. Commercial Aircraft OEMs)
- • Proven management skills including leadership of high-performing team, employee development, and effective change management.
- • Ability to work well independently and cross-functionally as part of an established and growing team.
- • Ability to build effective working relationships, persuade and influence, and problem-solve complex issues.
- • Strong communication, time-management, and problem-solving skills
- • Excellent conceptual, technical, and financial skills
- • Demonstrated experience as advanced user of productivity suites, Internet, MRP systems, and related financial, planning and purchasing software.
- • Strong communication, time-management, and problem-solving skills.
- • Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- • Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- • Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- • Ability to sit for extended periods of time, use hands to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and have close/color vision ability to adjust focus.
- • Ability to travel as required.
- • Ability to work outside of core business hours as required.
Additional Preferred Skills: (not required)
- • Masters or MBA desirable
- • Multi-site experience preferred
Specificity of the job
Frequent, domestic and international
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aircraft propulsion and equipment, space and defense markets. Safran has a global presence, with more than 92,000 employees and sales of 21 billion euros in 2018. Working alone or in partnership, Safran holds world or European leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes Research & Development programs to meet fast-changing market requirements, with total R&D expenditures of around 1.5 billion euros in 2018.
Safran is ranked among the Top 100 Global Innovators by Thomson Reuters and is featured on the "Happy at work" rankings. The Group places fourth on the Universum ranking for the favorite companies of newly-qualified engineers in France.
Safran Cabin provides all elements of a seamlessly integrated Cabin Interior. From the overhead bins, lavatories and galleys to crew rests and cargo containers, either as independent world class products or as a fully integrated cabin. The company is headquartered in Huntington Beach in Southern California, USA and operates 30 sites in 11 countries. The over 13.000 employees across the globe serve virtually all the airlines, aircraft leasing companies and airframe manufacturers worldwide.
Senior Design EngineerPublished on 03/29/2020Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Passenger and Crew Experience
Stress Engineer ManagerPublished on 03/25/2020Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Passenger and Crew Experience
Application Software Engineer, level 2Published on 03/17/2020Huntington Beach, United States Regular Full time Passenger and Crew Experience